Monday, August 13, 2007

What can we learn from a State Fair in Maine?

The past few days I have had the opportunity to work at the Skowhegan State Fair at the Somerset County Republican Booth. Ironically, the location of that booth couldn't be more fitting, Constitution Hall. Walking around that building you are able to see a variety of vender's from cosmetic retail with Avon and Mary Kay sales to ice cream with The Ice Cream Shoppe to outdoor power equipment with Skowhegan's own Whittemore and Sons. All the vender's all share one thing in common here, Capitalism. Yes, these hardworking individuals take time out of their normal busy schedules and normal routines in order to try and gain some extra leads or business. I talked with a few and some are not even getting paid or are taking vacation time in order to take a chance an opportunity that a State Fair can give. To me, they are owed a great deal of respect for doing what they have to do to make a living here in the tax burdened State of Maine.


As I stated earlier, the building we are located in is called Constitution Hall. How fitting isn't it?When I think of the Constitution, I think of our Founding Fathers, who, through hot summer days and countless heated debates in 1787, drafted (along with plenty of other "drafts" at local taverns at nights) the most important piece of literature in our American History next to the Declaration of Independence. Shortly after the final draft was completed, three very knowledgeable and influential statesman, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay started their own editorials named The Federalist Papers under the pseudonym "Publius", all to gain support from the people for this great piece of craftsmanship known as the Constitution. Before I go any further, I will mention or quote from The Federalist quite frequently due to the notion that it will bring us back to our roots of our country. If we can look at what our Founding Fathers went through, maybe we can see the light in order to get through our rough times we are having in our own State of Maine. They had very little history to go off from but countered that with a great deal of wisdom, intellect and freewill. In our situation, we have probably too much history with regards to the amount of statues we have in Maine that have put limitations on our business owners, citizens and workers. Additionally, history has provided us some negatives as well such as all the political action groups lobbying on behalf of "this" organization or "that" group of individuals as well as all the "rights" that have been infringed upon that caused a substantial payouts of "damages".


Digressing back to the fair for a moment, I observed another item while walking around the various stands and exhibits with my daughter one evening (while enjoying a doughboy of course). That observation was the simplicity that exists amongst children and young animals. What I'm referring to is when the young's parental figure or figures are around, such as with my daughter or with a young duckling, they are at ease and have no worries in the world. Children usually have no fear around their parents while walking around big crowds as well as animals feeling safe when hundreds of spectators are constantly touching them and taking pictures. They feel safe knowing that their parent will provide them the necessities that are needed in case it gets out of hand. Now, that brings me to the relationship between the Maine Taxpayer and the State Legislature. Obviously that simplicity is lost. Who is the parental figure in this case? Is it the Maine Legislature? I mean, they are the governing body right? Unfortunately, I don't know about you but I get "frightened" when they come around (or go in Session). I have two questions that I feel need to be asked about the Legislature. 1). Do they provide the essential necessities that encourage healthy growth and expansion amongst the "young" (Taxpayers, municipalities, and businesses) here in Maine? 2). Do the term limits created by the Legislature provide for a "healthy' turnover of personnel that aides in giving a fresh start to the Maine Taxpayer? I suppose you look no further than the figure next to your "State tax withheld" portion of your paycheck for that answer as well as your W-2's. Let's hope that the next version of the Legislature that gets voted in 2008 provides for those two items I addressed.

Lastly, stop by your local agricultural fair such as in my neck of the woods of Skowhegan, or Windsor, Fryberg or wherever there are hardworking farmers, sole proprietors and other fair related business owners. Agricultural fairs are a great family event and are some of the longest running events (I believe Skowhegan's is the longest running fair in the country at 188 years) in the country that provide for a real backbone of what our country started out on: hard work, determination and a love for this great country.

As always, God Bless America.





Matt Schaeffer

2 comments:

gaffer said...

The idea has occured to me that the excuse used by those who want longer term limits that it takes so long for a legislator to become qualified is bogus. If the legislature is that complicated and the protocal and rules that stringent than it is an indication of something wrong with the system. The idea that it takes that many years to learn the ropes is indicative that thje knots are too complicated. What goes on in the legislature is a case of power and politics. They want to make the public believe that all is well and longer term limits are necessary. So lets just change the system to alievate that roadblock and make the legislature more responsible to the people who they supposedly serve.

Matthew Schaeffer said...

That is one of the reasons I put that question up in the first place. My belief is the longer someone is in the legislature, the more damage they due to the recipients of the laws they enact. The same principle applies to when I run for re-election as a Selectman. We are all up every year in March. I suppose it's good that there can be a whole new turn over on the board, thus givng a fresh look and new ideas on the way the town is addressed. In my case, it is always a chance I can be voted out if their is a revolt or some real controversial issue I voted one way or another on. Regardless of the outcome, I vote and bring up issues in town at the meetings that best serves the community, not whther or not people will like me. Ironic how some may vote certain ways in the Legislature inorder to maintain their voter base.

The main point of this question was to find out the voters response on how term limts should be determined, by the voter or the legislature. I guess the numbers speak for themselves. I how some legislators look at the poll and do some real hard thinking. Thanks again for the resonse and supporting this blog Gaffer. It meas a great deal to me. Tell your friends. I have a few more new posts coming up by the end of the week.

President Ronald Reagan

About Me

My photo
Norridgewock, Maine, United States