Wednesday, August 8, 2007

What limits should there be regarding sex offenders?

This past year or so, there have been plenty of discussions in the talk radio shows here in Maine, Maine Legislature and other online forums regarding sex offenders. One of the may topics is how close registered sex offenders should be allowed to live near schools and daycare centers. Obviously the issue comes with with many pros and cons. For some, such as the offenders themselves and members of the civil rights organizations such as the ACLU feel that any limitation on these individuals infringes on their rights. However, in the local communities as well as concerned parents and citizens, it is felt with much emotion that we need to do whatever we can to protect our youth from any issue that may cause a grotesque and immoral issue.

I for one have pushed for an ordnance in the Town of Norridgewock that does indeed limit how close these offenders may reside from our schools. For one, in a year or so, our town is welcoming children from the towns of Mercer and Smithfield in a school consolidation effort. It is my belief that we owe it to our neighbors in a great deal of gratitude that we protect ALL school children here in town from any unforeseen situation that puts a child in danger. I would like to see a 2500 ft or 1/2 mile radius limit on these registered sex offenders. I know for a fact that we have a registered sex offender living with in a few hundred yards of a school bus stop. To me that is unacceptable as a community.

Additionally, I want to see and have encouraged the Recreation Department to perform criminal background checks on ALL volunteer coaches for baseball, softball, basketball and soccer. To me, this makes sense. Some on the Rec Board feel that it may cost a few dollar$, to which I replied "I would rather pay some money to be sure than to find out the hard way and have that on our conscience."

As I close here, I want to remind everyone that I am all for justice and doing your debt to society if the situation occurs in which a person broke the law. The issue comes when we as a society decides not to or does not have the resources to monitor the offender. As much as I hate government interference, maybe it is time for the Legislature to enact a bill that does indeed protect the youth and children from any situation that could cause harm regarding a sex offender. I believe every town should have some local ordnance regarding these types of issues. I will close by stating that it is us that must protect our children and us that must keep people in check. We must ensure our the protection of our children by looking at the trends that have taken place and one of those trends is where those offenders live. Keep fighting for what is RIGHT with America. God Bless this great land.

No comments:

President Ronald Reagan

About Me

My photo
Norridgewock, Maine, United States