Thursday, December 27, 2007

Remembering the Holidays and Looking Ahead to the New Year!

Well, Happy Holidays everyone. We are just a few short days past the Christmas holiday and venturing into the New Year. I'm reminded of my youth and our traditions we had as a family and of the new ones being made by my own family. Back then, as a kid I remember a stretch, it seemed anyway, that it rained on every Christmas. Maybe it didn't, but it appeared that way. I loved the Song "White Christmas" and wondered why it rained all the time. I'll still wonder. I especially remember the making of cookies with my mom and now as I have grown older, my wife and I have returned the favor with our daughter.


Now my wife and I try our hardest to give our child what she wants and of course needs. Maybe not in that order but all with good intentions. The hardest part is reminding myself that items and toys cost more these days and that not worry about if the child will be OK in going without a "big gift" this year. The point to remember is family time is just that, about family. We spent some time with my side of the family then with her side. Of course, both sides have their issues, most of it being that we are all head strong individuals and getting old and cranky. All in all, it was a great time spending it with the loved ones we do have. Old stories, making cookies, watching sports games on TV, Scrabble challenges, dart games, Ping Pong, and the ever popular guessing what is each persons present...shaking of course. The holidays is about family. I challenge each and every one of you to enjoy a holidy without family. It simply can't be done.

Looking ahead to the New Year, I have a few predictions as well as some goals.

Goals:

Now for Matt's Goals for 2008: 1. Land a large salmon on the fly rod. 2. Make some substantial gains in the stocks that I own. 3. Give my wife all the help she needs around the house (that way I can make #1 happen). 4. Teach my daughter the right way to play pitcher and 2nd Base on the softball team. and 5. fill my freezer up with wild game (ducks and deer). Yes I'm aware they are pretty large goals, but if I butter my wife up, it may just happen.

Predictions:

Now for my predictions: politically speaking of course. First, a Conservative will win the Republican nomination for President (Huh?...not a RINO) Second, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama will NOT win the Democratic nomination for President. A Republican WILL win the Presidency, by a large margin, say 5-7%. Third, Republicans will REGAIN control of the House in the Maine Legislature. Fourth, The Patriots will win the Super Bowl and the Celtics will win the NBA Championship. And Five...If all those happen, I'll buy my wife a diamond necklace. Actually, I'll buy her one anyway.

Those are just a few items on my plate for the New Year. The political scene in which I love so much is so hard to get a handle on sometimes. In Maine where I live, people act conservative most of the time, but they vote liberal the other part of the time. What's funny is that they are so used to the liberal way of life, it is like that is their "conservative principle" or less change and not the traditional way of what liberals really are. Hopefully in a new year and with new people around the political scene here in Maine, things can happen in a way to move us forward, not behind and stuck with the ever growing high tax burden. I do my part in my community and I push for and support those that believe in the same principles that I do. Nonetheless, 2008 should have as much drama and excitement on many fronts as did 2007. Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season.

God Bless America

No comments:

President Ronald Reagan

About Me

My photo
Norridgewock, Maine, United States