Friday, February 1, 2008

The Rebates are coming: Maine IRS Stay Away!

Well, one way to stimulate the economy is the give people back their money, or at least some of them anyway. Congress approved the Presidents package to issue tax rebaates. Is this the right way to do it though? Some say that people will just save the checks or money and not put it back into the economy, which is the initial intent of the plan. Personally, I think that if it is ours to begin with, why tell us how to spend it?

My problem lies not with the portions that are coming back to the citizens but with to whom they are going. Couples who make over $150K or individuals that make over $75K are not entitled to these rebates. What is stranage about the package is that some individuals that didn't even pay federal income tax are getting money back from the government. Is this a dip in the wrong pocket or just a way to stick it to people who do succeed in life here in this country? If a rebate is supposed to go to the ones with children and to married or even single individuals, why limit who those individuals are? Additionally, why give to the ones who did not even put into the system in the first place? That is my problem. The people that didn't even earn enough to have federal taxes taken away get a rebate. That to me looks like an income and not a rebate.

I'm all for stimulating the economy but let's be fair about it. Let's give it back to all citizens that earn an income and have children regardless of income. For those that are totally against the tax rebates in general I ask one question: How are you going to spend your money? Me, well I'm lobbying for a snowmobile or new golf clubs, but my wife has other plans. I told her the money is meant to "stimulate the economy and we need to do that by buying golf clubs". She said it was meant to stimulate our debt and retirement. Well, she did have a few explatives in there as well, so I can't argue. Only in America can we have a dilemma like this.

One last thing, more like a MEMO to the Maine IRS: Stay away from my rebate. I give you enough of my money now leave it alone. You'll get your share of taxes if my wife let's me buy golf clubs.

God Bless America!

No comments:

President Ronald Reagan

About Me

My photo
Norridgewock, Maine, United States